22 middle school students celebrated after being inducted into National Junior Honor Society. Congratulations, inductees!
Last Monday, 10 middle school students – in sixth and seventh grade – were inducted into National Junior Honor Society for the 2015-16 school year.
A big congratulations to our new members:
* Emily * Haylie * Erica * Orion * Amylynn
* Garrett * Julia * Victoria * Maggie * Amber
Next year, we will have 22 students in National Junior Honor Society.
* Olympiad Day (helpers)
* Pumpkin patch (helpers)
* Go Live! (helpers)
* Fed a family of 10 at Thanksgiving
* Ran the “Giving Tree” (10 families/42 people received Christmas gifts)
* Bear and Books Drive (helping kids in CPS care)
* Veterans community integration program (students inventoried furniture and household items)
* Big Brother Big Sister clothing drive (collected $224.00/1120 lbs., will be used to buy new books for Diamonds Children’s Hospital library. Barnes & Noble will give 20 percent off all books when we go shopping.)
* Candy sales and pizza fundraisers
* Participated in day-long leadership program at the UA
Congratulations to all of our new National Junior Honor Society members – and congratulations to our current members on the excellent work you did this year.
20 TCDS National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) members recently participated in a University of Arizona leadership development program called “Challenge Program”.
The program focused on team building, learning how to be both a leader and a follower while performing each of those roles well, listening skills and communication skills, collaboration and recognizing your comfort zones. The Challenge Program was an 8-hour class of events on the ground as well as events that took place a bit above ground.
Students participated in the Challenge Program at the UA soccer field.
Middle school Language Arts teacher Colleen Johnson and our school’s guidance counselor Diane St. Amand are NJHS advisors. Mrs. St. Amand says that she has been taking students to the Challenge Program for the last eight years, and she believes it is one of the best leadership programs in Tucson for middle school students. ‘
What a fun and educational day it was for students in NJHS.
If you took an ornament from the giving tree in the office, please drop your gift off in the office by Wednesday, December 10.
Gift items will be organized and beautifully wrapped for our families by members of the NJHS.
On behalf of the members of National Junior Honor Society and their advisors, we thank you for your kindness and generosity in the spirit of giving during the holiday season.
National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) students are staying busy with upcoming events and projects.
This year, the 21 seventh and eighth grade students who are in National Junior Honor Society meet Thursdays during their Enrichment period.
The goals of National Junior Honor Society this year? To provide leadership opportunities for all members, give donation of time and money within our school community and give donation of time and money to two outside organizations.
Upcoming events for National Junior Honor Society members include:
* The school’s annual Pumpkin Patch on October 24. Members will volunteer to run games for TCDS students.
* Friday Fun Night (with Student Council) on October 24 from 5:30-7:30 pm. Come to the school to enjoy this fun event!
* UA Challenge Leadership Course on November 21. This is a Rocks and Ropes leadership course for all NJHS members. Information packets will be sent home soon.
Upcoming Projects for National Junior Honor Society members include:
* Sponsoring a needy family for the holidays
* Fundraising to buy books for the TCDS library in the spring.