Meet Mrs. Wanda McDonnell
Early Childhood Education Director
- I have 3 children. They are 15, 17 and 29.
- Best part about working with children: Watching the children get excited about learning
- Favorite subjects in school: World History, Geography and Language Arts
- Favorite movie: The Sound of Music
- Favorite free-time activity as a child: Reading and playing outside
- I like all kinds of music! I mostly listen to Country – because it reminds me of home – and Christian Rock.
- I would like to visit Ireland and Australia.
- Soccer was my favorite sport to play as a child. I still play it!
- Favorite vacation destination: Anywhere with my family – my husband and kids
- If I could meet one person from any point in time, I would meet Martin Luther King, Jr. because he had a quiet, calm, wise strength that I aspire to have.
- Unique facts about me: * I sleep very little. * I have a big appetite for finger foods. * I would like to have regular manicures one day.
Meet Ms. Paige Gatewood
- I have two mini dachshunds. They are four and five.
- Favorite part about teaching: The students’ excitement
- Favorite book: Little Women
- If I could eat only one food, I would choose to eat cheeseburgers!
- The most rewarding moment in my life thus far was moving to Tucson.
Meet Ms. Shannon Williamson
Preschool Assistant Teacher
- I have one child. His name is Chase, and he is 17 years old.
- Best part about teaching: Watching the faces of children as they grow, learn and discover new things
- Favorite place to go on vacation: A cruise ship
- If I could be famous, I would be a singer. I think I have a terrible voice, but I love to sing.
- Favorite free-time activity as a child: Climb trees with my brothers
- Fun fact most people don’t know about me: I love to ride motorcycles.
- My favorite place to relax: On the couch watching a good movie
- If I could meet one person from any point in time, I would meet my son Chase in the year 2030 to find out if he became a loving, honest and successful young man.
- Unique facts about me: * I am very scared of spiders. * I am computer illiterate.
- One of my true colors for my personality is orange. I like to laugh and make others laugh also.
Meet Ms. Jordan Bowman
- I have one daughter. She is nine.
- I love country music. It reminds me of family and summer.
- I would really like to visit Jamaica. I would go with my daughter because it seems relaxing.
- I played trumpet as a child. I loved being a part of a band that performed so well together.
- My favorite vacation destination is Washington. That is where my family is from, and the weather is perfect.
Meet Ms. Jean Steagall
Preschool Assistant Teacher
- I have two daughters. They are 24 and 26 and in collage at ASU.
- Favorite thing to do as a child: Play, play, play – and ride my motorcycle
- A fun fact most people don’t know about me: I like to laugh!
- My true color for my personality is blue. I am sensitive to emotions.
Meet Mrs. Martha Rose
Mrs. Martha Rose has been working in Early Education at Tucson Country Day School since 2008. She has an Associate’s Degree in Early Education and has been working in this field for 33 years.
Martha is married to an Air Force retiree and has a daughter in the 8th grade at TCDS. Martha likes to spend her time walking with her family while also taking her dogs for a walk, working out, biking and hiking.
Meet Mrs. Erika Johnson
Erika Johnson moved back to Tucson last year; she last lived here when she was five, and that was quite a while ago! Erika moved because her husband was offered a job at Borderlands Brewing Co. They sold their restaurant brewhouse in South Dakota and relocated. Quite a few members of Erika’s family are coming to Arizona as well, and she loves being near them. She is excited to return to teaching in Prekindergarten, now at TCDS.
Erika likes to cook, read, knit, continually improve her house, watch live music, ride her motorcycle and garden.
Meet Ms. Moriah Matlock
Meet Mrs. Gloria Phillips
Meet Mrs. Ruth Sherrod
Preschool and Prekindergarten Art Teacher
- I have three boys. My two older boys are 18, and my youngest son is 12.
- Best part about teaching: I enjoy learning with my students. They inspire me.
- I am a Tucson native!
- Favorite vacation destination: Anywhere to visit family or hike
- I read so much that I don’t have a favorite book!
- Favorite free-time activities as a child: Art, music and family time
- If I could meet one person from any point in time, I would like to meet any of my ancestors.
- If I could eat only one food, I would choose zucchini fries or grilled zucchini. Zucchini is a versatile vegetable that tastes great by cooking it many ways.
- Unique facts about me: * I enjoy hiking in nature. * I am not a fan of shopping. * My favorite beverages are iced coffee and iced tea.
- Most rewarding moment of my life thus far: I love being a mother. The first time I met my son was the most life-changing experience for me.
Meet Mrs. Rena Randall
Preschool and Prekindergarten Music and After-Care Teacher
- I have two children. They are both boys, ages 26 and 22.
- Best part about teaching: I love working with the children and watching them change and grow.
- I am a Tucson native! I am a fifth generation native Tucsonan. My grandparents moved to this neighborhood near TCDS in 1940.
- If I could be the president of the United States, I would not want to. However, I do like getting involved in politics in small ways in which I feel I can make a difference and express my opinion.
- Favorite free-time activity as a child: I loved to play outside and would spend hours riding and exploring on my horse.
- If I could meet one person from any point in time, I would meet Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. I would love to be able to pick his brain and observe and learn as he composed music.
- Unique facts about me: * I perform with an all-acoustic Western music group called Rena Randall and the Due West Trio. We have recorded three CDs together. I have performed music through the years with some of Tucson’s finest musicians. * I know a lot about neighborhood history. This was once called “Deer Ranch”. * I have performed in rodeos across the state.
Meet Mrs. Kerry LaBombard
Preschool and Prekindergarten Before-Care Teacher
- I have two children. My daughters are both adults, and their names are Amy and Sarah.
- I have two pets. One is a Siamese cat, and the other is a Chihuahua.
- Favorite vacation destination: I like to go to Vermont in the summer, not in the winter.
- Favorite book: Gone with the Wind
- Favorite free time activity as a child: Nature, hiking and growing up at a lakeside camp
- If I could meet one person from any point in time, I would meet Reverend Frank Rose, my retired minister, artist (water-color), naturalist and mentor. He has always held the answer for me, and I would love to spend more time with him.
- Unique facts about me: * I swim and walk every night at 6:20. * I collect rocks, and I am making a rock garden. * I will be learning to play a cello.